Elephant Rides & ER visits

May is almost over and I am going on my 7th week in Cambodia. Crazy!

A lot has been going on here over the last few weeks. I can't give a full report of every day and every little moment that has stood out to me, but there have been many.

I have had some neat opportunities at the school lately. One day we were working with the microscope and got to see some kind of parasite swimming around in the pond water specimen. The entire 10th grade class saw it on the laptop screen! It was so cool! Their reactions were priceless. To think that so many people use ponds like this as their source for drinking water is still unimaginable for me and I'm living here so I'm sure it's hard for you guys to believe! 😝

We also got to do a few house visits to follow up with some families of students we visited when the BC team was here. Continuing to build relationships with those families and meet the needs that we can. Like one family needs a water filter {{they only cost about $12 but that's a lot of money for some families in this area}} and another family requested a Bible. Getting to send that student home with a beautiful Khmer bible for her Buddhist family was such a joy! The little girl had such a big smile on her face.

The two moms I spoke with at the last two homes were just such amazing, hard-working women. It was obvious how much they love their kids and the sacrifices they are making work to procure their children's education at the Heart for Wisdom School, especially their daughters. Most girls have to drop out of school before they begin 8th grade to help out around the house so the boys are more likely to continue their academic learning. 50% of rural women are illiterate and have not completed their primary education. These moms reflected that sad statistic as neither one of them completed elementary school, so it means a great deal to them that their kids have a better future by receiving a good education.

It's been a blessing for me to get more acquainted with the teachers, staff and student body of the school. Whether I am filling in for the 10th grade science teacher or helping at the snack shop, teaching chapel to the 2nd-12th graders or simply talking to kids during recess, I am just amazed at what is happening here.

But as I have mentioned before, this is only the beginning! The school is bursting at the seams with growth and they need more space than they currently have. Would you please join us in praying for a miraculous financial provision? The Carsons have estimated needing about $500k to purchase several acres of neighboring rice fields to build a school that would hold about two to three thousand students. Pray for God to send fresh staff with willing hearts and working hands to continue the ministry happening here. There is much need, but we serve a BIG God! We know this work has been birthed out of His heart and He will be faithful to finish what He has started. If you feel led to give, you can easily do so by following this link. We are praying and believing God for the solution that will bring Him the most glory!

Kit, Ream and Chenda {{the assistant principal at the school}} had an NGO educators meeting to attend in the province of Siem Reap last week, so I tagged along. On this 3 day trip, I got to see one of the ancient wonders of the world - Angkor Wat! Such an incredible place to visit, it was truly larger than life! I felt like I was walking through the Jungle Book. I even got to ride an elephant around on of the temple ruins. Exploring the city was fun too - getting super cheap pedicures/massages, shopping, eating and spending very little money doing it! The fresh coconut milkshakes and ice green tea lattes were my favorite, the most I spent on one was $1.50 and they were huge!

I've been loving getting to know the kids more but I'm gonna be honest, it has taken every bit of 7 weeks to feel like we are actually building friendships. When I decided to come out here, I wasn't really expecting an orphanage predominantly made of teenagers. Most of the kids here are between 13-19 years old and they are the sweetest teens ever, but still it's not like little kids that you can just play games with or be silly and they immediately love everything you do. Older kids, especially the girls, just want to talk! {{But some are not super comfortable or confident in english}} I love youth ministry and I love teenagers, so I didn't think it would be that hard to adjust. But honestly, between the language barrier and the shyness of the kids who do speak good english, it was challenging for a while and I wondered how would we ever have deeper conversations and really communicate with each other.

A friend of mine has been good to remind me that words are just one form of communication, you can show love in so many other ways.

Sometimes it's buying snacks for movie nights, sometimes its just being in the same room as them. Sometimes its playing cards, sometimes its joining in their bible study which is in Khmer and even though I can't understand a word that is being said, I still want to show up. And slowly but surely, those relationships started forming. I think when I stopped worrying about it, it just started happening naturally.

This past Saturday I took five of the older girls into Phnom Penh for a day of exploring, shopping and eating lunch. We had so much fun wandering around the famous Central Market, buying shirts and pants for $2.50 a piece, cheapest shopping spree ever. Then we went to the giant Japanese mall in the city, its 3 stories and kinda overwhelming but we enjoyed eating lunch there and just walking around in air conditioning! It was so fun to spoil them a little bit. They work really hard in school and at home, they deserved some fun! 4 out of 5 of them are graduating high school in a few months so we're starting the celebrations early :)

So those are some of the highlights, but if I said its been all elephant rides and coconut milkshakes, I'd be lying.

I've definitely had some down times the last few weeks as well. Moments of missing home and familiar faces...and I will admit, familiar foods. {{Not long after my soapbox post about living simpler and not needing more to be satisfied, I've definitely been challenged to practice what I preached!}} Times of questioning if anything I'm doing out here really matters or is making a difference. I see a pattern though-- any time I focus too much on myself, my inadequacy, my insecurities, etc. these questions start breeding and the doubt comes rushing in. Sloooowly learning to depend on Him more and rely on myself less...but man, why is it so hard to do that sometimes?

I've laughed and I have cried, and through it all I sense Jesus constantly inviting me to draw closer to Him. On the days where life is awesome and I feel full of purpose and joy, and during the nights of loneliness and sickness where I just want to give up and go home.

We are told we will face trials of many kinds in this life and they shouldn't surprise us. I know these verses in the bible, but sometimes the trials still surprise me. Like this sickness I have been dealing with, I rarely get sick back home and I have never gotten sick in another country before. Kit warned me before coming here, but I just didn't think it would really happen. Turns out I'm not as invincible as I thought I was.

After two weeks of not keeping down most of what I ate, I finally gave in and went to the hospital in Phnom Penh, about a 90 minute bumpy taxi ride. One of the girls named Own came with me to keep me company and waited outside the whole time! Such a loyal and kind friend. We left at 3:00 in the afternoon and didn't get home til almost 11 that night. In the emergency room, they ran some blood work, gave me IV fluids and some anti-nausea medication but still didn't determine the cause of it. I came home that night and have been able to get a lot of rest, more fluids and am now tolerating the BRAT diet. {{Minus rice...I just need a little tiny break from the rice 😁}} I think the worst is over for now and hopefully for good!

Some of the older girls have been staying in my room the last few nights, keeping me company and giving me lots of TLC. If nothing else, I'm thankful this sickness has let me get closer to them! They really are the best. It's been humbling to have to receive from people I came here to give to and serve, but I know it's been good for me.

We always have the choice with how we are going to respond to the things that test us. Sometimes I bite my quivering lip and ask God for strength to be brave but other times I just totally crumble to pieces.

When we are weak, He is strong, amen?

It's especially through my weakness and frailty that I am reminded of His unconditional and unchanging love for me. Love that doesn't fluctuate with my circumstances or how well I endure a trial. When I'm brave and when I'm not so brave, He just keeps loving me no matter what.

That truth has been my anchor the last few weeks here, and when I lose sight of it, He is faithful to remind my anxious heart. For that I am so thankful.

This life is short and it's going by fast. In light of eternity, our time here really is a vapor. I know it's easy to forget that when we're going through anything hard, but it doesn't make it less true. It's a constant battle to not get too weighed down by or too attached to that which is temporary, but its a battle I want to fight.

I don't want to waste time. I want to run this race well. I want Jesus to be my One thing. I want to keep my eyes on the prize, the finish line, the goal. I want to be able to say these words and mean it wholeheartedly:

"I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back. So let’s keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us."
 {Philippians 3:12-13, The Message}
<3

 [above] I was pretty sick this whole day but there was no way I was letting this chance pass me by! worth the $20 & the extra nauseousness haha.

[below] Bayon temple...so many details and faces in these stones!




[above] 4 of the 10 people on the flight to Siem Reap! we got our tickets for $35 each and our flight was 30 min! kinda the best flying experience ever.


 [above & below] temples for days


[below] our fearless leaders & amazing tour guides Kit & Ream with the famous tree from the Indiana Jones movie!




[above] girls day in the city! left to right is SreyLy, Jon, Own, Wut, Vanack and me!

[below]  Vanack and I visiting one of our students families, the girl in between us, Alisa. Her family lives in a village about 20 min from the school. Loved getting to sit and talk with her mom and aunts!



[above & below] while we were in Siem Reap, Chenda, Ream and I spent a day at the Cambodian Cultural Village, a beautiful sprawling garden with many historical and interactive components. We visited a wax museum, pretended we were professional archers, watch a reenactment of a traditional formal Khmer wedding, saw several national dances and musical performances and enjoy the lovely surroundings of well-manicured trees, bamboo and water lilies. Loved getting to spend some time with these ladies :)



[above] biology fun continues! this was the day we saw the "bug" in the water...EW!

[below] one of the local ponds where people get their water from...looks inviting right? like you just wanna take a big gulp? 




'
[above] market trip with a few of the gang, going to get our favorite fruits!

[below] how we do Sunday lunch around here. man they're just the funnest.







Comments

Popular Posts